Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Fourth Brief Intermission

I'm back from vacationing in good ol' Tejas. Unfortunately, the only thing I didn't get accomplished was my review. Rest assured you'll see it in two days time (which will leave only my Requiem Mass unfinished, Mr. Schauer).

However, I just wanted to share this quick story before I post the aforementioned. It seems like a good one on which to end the year.

I went for a walk late on the evening of December 25. Having had a decent Christmas with my parents (which, at my father's behest, included a viewing of that holiday classic,
The Dark Knight), I took a constitutional, as I am wont to do when I'm back in Corsicana.

On the way to the park where I take those frequent walks, I passed 4 kids playing with some sort of dart guns. While I didn't pay much attention to them--enough only to keep from getting shot at--I'd say their ages ranged from about 5 to 9.

Here is the conversation that I overheard. Keep in mind that I didn't respond to them; I just strode onward, collar on my peacoat turned up, a small smile upon my face.

Kid 1 (referring to me): "Is he a bad guy?"

Kid 2: "Nah, he's not a bad guy."

Other kids: "No. No. He's not bad."

Kid 2: "He's Batman."

Other kids: "Aw, wow! Batman!"

Kid 1: "Nah, he's not Batman."

Kid 2: "Well, who is he?"

(Pause)

Kid 1: "He's just...a man."

I'm just a man. Truer words...




Alright. I hope you've all had an enjoyable holiday season. This
QOS review and I have some unfinished business. See you back here in two days time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose this all came about because you happened to be wearing the 100% Merino Wool Batman 40th Anniversary -Eddie Bauer Edition- Pea Coat with the embroidered Batman logo on the back?