Saturday, September 6, 2008

Shotgun Full of Buck-thought

Another smattering for you. Here we go.

Apparently the word "millennials," as a reference to Gen-Y'ers, has been around since the early 90s. I only heard it for the first time this past week. I bloody hate it. I mean, it makes our generation sound like we're on a space-faring quest for some crystal city or some such nonsense as that.

You know, there's nothing like a good French gangster film to make you (meaning me) feel utterly grand. Especially if it's got Jean Gabin or Alain Delon. Or Jean Gabin AND Alain Delon.

Singin' in the Rain will also make you feel grand. I watched it in 35mm last night. If you don't walk out of that film with a smile on your face, um, check your pulse. There were three times where the audience applauded. Now, I've never been afraid to applaud for a movie, but I confess to feeling always a bit awkward when I do applaud. No reason to feel awkward, though. An audience breaking into applause is the same thing as the stars breaking into song. Our emotions can't be contained by our thoughts, our feelings, and our widespread smiles any longer, just like--as a friend once told me--the characters' emotions are so full that they can only be expressed in song.

Most of you who know me know that I'm not easily offended by violence. Indeed, I'll say it: I like it. In my movies, comics, etc., of course. In life...not really, no. But in fiction, oh yes. So, how can a comic book cross the line?



If this were a book by Warren Ellis or Garth Ennis, I wouldn't think twice. I expect this kind of ultraviolent gore from those esteemed gents. (Well, Warren's esteemed, at least.) But in a little ol' DC comic called Teen Titans, whose title would ostensibly intend it for people of a teen demographic, it's just plain wrong. I don't care that it's a dream sequence. I don't care that it's a villainous character and she's just doing her thing. This is just plain unnecessary. Although, in a way, I'm kind of grateful. It saves me 3 bucks a month, after all. This sort of crap actually does have wider implications for mainstream comics, and I would point you here for more: http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/2008/08/in-this-issuewendy-and-marvin-die.html. She pretty much says all that I want to, and where she mentions there being "no in-between?" That's an ongoing concern for me, which I'll probably talk more about another time.

Current needs: some tennis matches, a trip to a large city, a good freeware program for DVD screen captures on the PC. Oh, and ribs.

Rewatching The Sandbaggers. Dear God, I hope I'm not as dour as Neil Burnside ten years from now...though working for SIS wouldn't be all bad. And I have such better looking hair...

Working on another list for you good folks. This one's a list of the 20 best books to start with if you've either never read comics or haven't read them in a while. Coming soon to a monitor near you.

As much as I'm TV'ed out right now, I went on and started The Office (the US version). I finished the first season. You were all right: taking a break between the British version and this one was a very good idea.

Books I need to reread soon (can't say why, just need to):
  • Light in August, by William Faulkner
  • Gun, with Occasional Music, by Jonathan Lethem
  • Minotaur, by Benjamin Tammuz
Finally...in a world...where Don LaFontaine is no longer with us...Damn. It's just hard to imagine that world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Millennials" is no good. SOLARBABIES is much better.