However, the title refers to a propensity, however infrequent, to enjoy a few small pleasures on a Sunday morning that make me feel like an old man. Going out to breakfast by myself, reading a copy of Illustration Magazine while I eat, followed by a bit of pool. This is the program.
So while there are numerous things I could (and want to) gripe about, I'm not going to do that here...at least not today. Instead, in no particular order, here's a brief list of the small pleasures in which I've recently indulged, or to which I always look forward.
- an unbroken Butterfinger from a vending machine
- fine book design (cover art, trade dress, the works)
- discovering a bourbon that reminds me of scotch (Black Maple Hill)
- discovering a rye that reminds me of all that's good in this world (Templeton)
- merely knowing there's a film out there that's titled Man on the Spying Trapeze
- Tina Fey making a reference to Tron
- almost everything Christina Hendricks says here (particularly her 6th point, which seems like a rare quality)
- sliding my fingers over well kept felt on a pool table, and likewise the feel of the Irish linen on my cues
- my E.T. ad about drinking and driving, shown here.
- the tactility of reading the Griffin & Sabine books
- a sketch that an artist draws inside your hardcover comic, precisely because you bought the hardcover
- tennis at sundown
- using a wooden bat at a batting cage when everyone else is using aluminum bats
- mail-order ribs (from Memphis, specifically)
- that moment during a run when you tell your burgeoning shin splits to go fuck themselves
- lip balm that tastes like Dr Pepper
- this article
- reading any Golden Age comic before I go to sleep
- a superhero who, clearly without any logic or motivation, uses a gatling gun instead of his magical powers
- having a theater to myself (and taking a call during the movie if I want to; it's plain sinful)
- watching the entire run of Homicide: Life on the Street in two months
- listening to every Miles Davis Columbia album chronologically
- great screenwriting
- feedback on this blog
It's the little things in life, after all.
And thus I have completed 7 straight days of posting, which for someone who hasn't posted in as many months, feels like a something of a minor feat. I doubt I'll be posting daily this week, but definitely expect new posts for "Monday Movies," "Wednesday Comics," "Friday Night Heists," and "Saturday Swigs."
I hope you've liked what you've read here this week. If there's something I can improve or change--however large or small--tell me. And if you expected a grumpier "Old Man Sundays," well...all I can say is to check back tomorrow for my first installment of "Monday Movies."
And with that, I bid you all a good evening.