Monday, April 19, 2010

Refilling the Empty Hand

Right. It occurs to me that I have neglected my meager chronicle for much too long, and I return to it now for two reasons.

1) A friend of mine gave me 4 instructions yesterday, and writing each and every day this week was on the list (others include taking a look at the Shoedini, watching as much of The Mighty Boosh as I can, and having a John Parr dance party).

2) My Jim Thompson quote rant has been my last post for long enough. Those of you who read me but don't know me have likely thought that I went bug-fuck mad. Those of you who do know me...well, keep schtum, would you?

Now, apropos of daily scrawls, I know that the friend in question meant that I should be working on my variety of undeveloped and long percolating ideas for comics, prose, musical theatre, etc. And I will indeed start working on those again. But I need something both regimented and something that the rest of you can read.

Thus, I'm kinda rebooting the ol' blog. Hollywood studios are rebooting all the time now; why can't I?. From now on, each day's post will have a theme. Below are the themes and what I have on tap for this week:

MONDAY MOVIES, which I'll begin in earnest next week, due to my very procedural intro tonight.

Tomorrow will bring you TUESDAY TOMES, in which I'll look at the last Queen & Country novel, Private Wars, by Greg Rucka.

And because I just can't get enough Queen & Country, I'll use my WEDNESDAY COMICS installment to look at a single page from Rucka's first arc. I'll then argue why I think that page is one of the best examples of comic storytelling I've seen in the past several years.

THURSDAY TELEVISION will be a 2-for-1 deal, in that I'll throw in some Monday Movies action along with the TV, by talking about a strange confluence of events that led my friends and me to watch a charmingly inept and bizarre disco movie and follow that up with what turned out to be an amazing (and even more bizarre) episode of Night Court. Those of you who lived it are, of course, excused from reading this post.

FRIDAY NIGHT HEISTS will explore some of the movies that I watched in my 101-day heist marathon, along with some other flicks that I've found post-'thon. I'll start off with the 1968 Gordon Flemyng rarity, The Split.

SATURDAY SWIGS is born of a suggestion my fellow whiskey club co-founder made to me. I'm going to start reviewing whiskeys. However, while I'll post here this week, I'll very shortly pop the cork on a blog specifically for whiskey reviews. Get ready to move "From the Sweet to the Peat" in the not-too-distant, in which I shall style myself the poor man's Jim Murray.

And that brings us to OLD MAN SUNDAYS, in which I'll talk about whatever the hell I want to, goddammit.

As always, I hope to have enough smart, entertaining type that I can hand you.

Oh, and um, Maureen? You didn't mention the Gilbert Gottfried voiceover for Shoedini, which puts it over the top. I have to admit, though, I'm wondering if a Bootdini is in the works, if for no other reason than that I can hopefully do the voiceover. And, while I'm at it, thanks for the list.


Read: The Nightly News, by Jonathan Hickman
Watch: The Small Back Room (dir. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1949)
Listen to: I Liked It Better When You Had No Heart, by Butch Walker and the Black Widows

3 comments:

Beware: Drunken Blog Stalker said...

So, if it were a new year I would perhaps make a resolution to be more patient; however, it's not. So, at the risk of being a blog-stalker... not that such a thing exists, with the exception of myself, I dare to say... what happened to the new-found-short-term dedication to your blog?

On the other hand, you're allowed a life, of course, so live it and enjoy it. I just couldn't bare it if your departure was due to a lack of encouragement, you know? So, as I know it's unjust to put pressure on one's creativity I am taking my handthemtype bumper sticker and t-shirt, temporarily dis-banning my solitary fan club and am surfing the other blogs out there... not in retaliation, mind you, but solely as a way to dim down my ability to annoy at a comment's notice, if such a thing can be done (it's okay if you don't think it's possible either).

You know I'm just trying to live vicariously through your artistry. :) I will find more than one outlet though... it's just too much for any one blog to bare.

What I really mean to say, though, writing everyday is a great idea. And if you're not doing it here I hope you are doing it somewhere... paper and pen work well I hear.

Thank you for your patience with my own ranting... maybe I'll write a blog ranting about how I want you to write in your blog... I guess --- hmmm.. a handthemtypefanclub.blogspot.com site... This could work! If it didn't feel like I was sponging off of your creativity I would possibly move forward with that!

Okay, Enough!

Good night!

Jet Ski Ham said...

Beware "Beware: Drunken Blog Stalker." Living vicariously through my artistry, such as it is, is a dangerous proposition. Too many variables there, not the least of which is yours truly, a singularly mercurial author, presently beset by lack of aim, acumen, and patience.

But I haven't departed. And my absence is not due to a lack of encouragement (which, thank you for yours). Or enjoying my life, for that matter.

It seems you'll be pleased to know that I am, however, writing everyday. It's just that what I write everyday...is not for any of my readers. At least, not yet.

All this being said, I'm happy you enjoy my selection of scribbles. Rest assured that I'll be providing you with more soon.

Oh, and one more thing: I have your identity narrowed down to 4 candidates. I'll have it soon, I'm certain.

A Sober Now said...

Lol, down to four candidates? Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sneaky. But thank you for the reply, I am happy to know that you are writing daily.