Monday, June 30, 2008

The Short Con

I'd planned to post a long report on the Chicago Comic Con today, but I'm mad as assholes and not really up to any extended reportage.

However, because I don't want to let more than a week go by without posting, I'll give you kids one brief story.

I met artist Gene Ha at the DC Booth, where he was both signing and sketching. Through a bit of good fortune, I was the first in line for him. When he got to the booth, he asked if anyone had only stuff to sign (i.e. wanted no sketches), and he let them go to the front of the line. A cool move, if you ask me. I don't mind waiting for people who just want to get their books signed.

Once that was done, I handed Mr. Ha my sketchbook. Then, in what seemed like a daze, I heard the following: "Here's the rule for sketches--I'll only sketch you as a superhero."

Now, I thought about asking him to do one of my favorites (i.e. Batman, Green Lantern, Daredevil), but they all wear masks. I figured that might come off as a bit smart-assy. So, I decided to go with a more...traditional approach.



What's really terrifying is how much that actually looks like me.

More to come, including my run-in with a famous comics writer in a bathroom. Which was also really terrifying.


Read:
Fortune and Glory by Brian Michael Bendis
Watch:
As Tears Go By (dir. Wong Kar-wai, 1988)
Listen to:
The Hare's Corner (Cuinne an Ghiorria) by Colm Mac Con Iomaire

No comments: