Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cooke + Stark = Happiness

While I'm finishing up my lengthier-than-25-words review of The Dark Knight--which, unlike the film itself, will not live up to the hype--I thought I'd offer up some fantastic news.

News from San Diego reveals that comic storyteller extraordinaire Darwyn Cooke will be adapting the first four Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake) Parker novels into comic form.

Wondering what that'll look like? I'm so glad you asked.




Another look, you say? Oh, alright...




For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the Parker series began in 1962 and is still running to this day. Parker is, quite simply, the most hard-boiled thief around. You may know the character from movie adaptations Point Blank or Payback (or for you lucky few, The Outfit). I've read the first six books and love them all dearly. That one of the best comic writer/artists in the business is on this project is some of the best news fans of crime comics like me could have.

I really am easy, aren't I?


Read:
The Hunter (retitled Payback) by Richard Stark
Watch:
The Outfit (dir. John Flynn, 1973)
Listen to:
The Dark Knight by Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

No comments: