Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm not a political man, but...

...in much the same way that candidates have both victory speeches and concession speeches prepared, I've had a couple of quotes circling around in my head.

The first one, a most dreadful thought, has been in my head for a few weeks now. Upon the outbreak of World War I, British Foreign Secretary Sir Edward Grey made the following comment, which has stuck with me ever since I first heard it in Coach Blake's 8th Grade History class:

"The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime."

Thankfully, the turnout TURNED OUT. As a result, another quote comes to mind, from a poem about baseball--the name and author of which both escape me at present:

"The day is done/The score is in/The final cheer and jeer have passed/
And in the night/Beyond the fight/The player finds rest, at last."

And so too can we find some rest, at least tonight.

All that's left to say is...this looks like a job for the President of the United States.


No comments: