Monday, May 12, 2008

We Hardly Knew Ye, Twenties!

So...if 40 is the new 20, does that make 30 the new 10? And if so, what the hell does that even mean?

Hopefully, no more hair in strange places.

A brief post in honor of the big 3-0. Funny...every time I see the age with dashed digits, it's like I'm looking at a scoreboard and not sure who's playing. I just know that it's a shutout.

Anyway, 12 things I'd like to do in the next decade:


  1. Muster up the nerve to give up on or walk out of movies when they suck.
  2. Listen to music that's happier, yet still cool. (Any suggestions would be helpful, kids.)
  3. Take my first piano lesson.
  4. Get back to fencing. (That's swordfighting, kids. Not moving stolen goods.)
  5. Do a bit of boxing.
  6. Fake my own death. (Because, really, how cool would that be.)
  7. Get to Italy. ASAP. (Perhaps as corollary to #6.)
  8. Cut Grant Morrison some slack. (Because he deserves it.)
  9. Write my own book about James Bond if I see one more volume where any instances of engaging historical acumen are UTTERLY RUINED by masturbatory fanboy soapboxing and proofing/editing worthy of a 9-year-old's fanzine.
  10. Take more photos. Also, not be such a dick on those rare occasions when people actually want to take my picture.
  11. Commit more in the way of foolish yet ultimately harmless acts.
  12. Answer the question.

Read:
Batman and Son, by Grant Morrison, Andy Kubert, & Jesse Delperdang
Watch:
Touchez pas au grisbi (dir. Jacques Becker, 1954)
Listen to:
The Book and the Canal, by Calexico

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope these aren't "chick" type songs only. I'm not sure if these are all happy... or cool, but they're the ones that make me happy, for whatever that's worth.

Happy Birthday!

Everyday is a Holidy - Esthero
My Doorbell - White Stripes
Many Paul Simon songs such as:
Diamonds on the Souls of her Shoes
You're the One
Mushaboom-Feist
Chica Dificil - Aterciopelados
Common People - THE William Shatner
United States of Whatever - Liam Lynch
I Will Survive - Cake
Funk like Jungle Boogie and Pick up the pieces
Mondo Bongo - Joe Strummer
Rubber Biscuit - Blues Brothers
Speed Ballin'- Outkast
Too Much - Dave Matthews

Country Music
Patti Loveless - When I think about Elvis
Love Me Just Leave Me Alone - Jewel
Ain't going down til the sun comes up - Garth Brooks

Jazzy-ness
Tank - Rayzd (Cowboy Bebop Theme Song)
They Can't Take that Away from Me - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong


Guilty Pleasures
Gold Digger - Kayne West
Sexy Back - Justin Timberlake
Love Song - Sara Bareilles

PS. Couldn't agree more with you about Ratatouille.